Sheffield Vulcans are THRILLED to announce that we have been granted full membership to International Gay Rugby.
Since launching in August 2017, the Vulcans have had a superb first season as a club and recruited nearly 20 regular players. Working with coach Andrea Dobson and taking advice from other IGR clubs across the UK, the team have enjoyed weekly training sessions, insane socials and nights out, and the chance to bare all in a naked photoshoot to raise money for Balls to Cancer.
The criteria met for full IGR membership are:
- Be a primarily gay and / or lesbian identifying rugby club;
- Support the aims and objectives of IGR;
- Have a formalised governance structure with constitution and elected officers and have statements related to tolerance and inclusion in their club mission statement;
- Be registered with their National and Local Rugby unions;
- Have played at least 3 15s rugby matches in their current or most recent rugby season.
We have met all these measures and we cannot wait to continue our experiences with the IGR.
Keep your eye out for more exciting news from the Sheffield Vulcans as we approach our 1st Birthday!
To find out more about the International Gay Rugby organisation, and to learn about the types of membership, visit their website here